It does not take much. I make a two week menu and then double it for the month.
1. Gather 14-16 dinner recipes that your family enjoys.
2. Keep it interesting. (I like to pick 2 of each of my favorite cultures.)
3. Print out a calendar and write in each recipe for week 1 and week 2. Try not to place similar meals back to back.
4. Copy week 1 and 2 and use it for week 3 and week 4.
5. Make a shopping list for the first two weeks and then double it for the month.
6. Add extras to your list like lunch items for the kids, etc.
I use the two week method to make it easier, but you can do a four week menu plan. You can also make a breakfast and lunch menu for the month using the two week method or four week method. The more you plan, the more success you will have.